«︎ Back to Recipes
- 4 cups Smith's Milk
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch of baking soda
- 2 sticks (3" long each) cinnamon
- 1 whole clove
- zest of 1 orange, in strips (no white pith)
- 1/4 tsp fresh-ground nutmeg
- 8 egg yolks (large)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup dark rum (optional)
- Extra ground nutmeg for garnish
- Place Smith's milk, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, clove and orange zest in a saucepan.
- Watching carefully, bring to a simmer, lower heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Do not walk away because you must adjust the heat after covering it, or it might boil over.
- Remove from heat, still covered, and steep for 30 minutes.
- Uncover milk mixture and strain out cinnamon sticks, clove and orange peel. Stir in nutmeg.
- Allow to cool while separating eggs and placing yolks in the bowl of a mixer. Beat yolks until pale yellow and thick.
- Ladle in warm milk mixture in a thin stream while beating on medium-high speed to prevent eggs from cooking.
- When all milk has been added, return to saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until nog has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and rum.
- Serve warm or, even better, chill overnight to allow flavors to blend before serving.
Makes 6 servings.