«︎ Back to Recipes
Hanukkah Latkes with Sour Cream Applesauce Swirl
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 small sweet yellow onion, peeled
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- vegetable oil, enough to fill your frying pan 1/2"
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1 cup Smith's All Natural Sour Cream
- Grate potatoes and onion into a large bowl. Drain any excess liquid.
- Add eggs, flour and salt to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Oil is ready when a drop of the latke batter sizzles.
- Use a 1/4-cup measuring cup to scoop latke batter into the hot oil.
- Use a spatula to slightly flatten each latke.
- Cook until brown and crispy, about 5 minutes, and then flip the latkes.
- Cook until the second side is also brown and crispy, about 5 more minutes.
- Remove cooked latkes to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Place applesauce in a medium serving bowl.
- Place sour cream in a small plastic zip-top bag and cut off a small corner.
- Starting at the center of the bowl, create a sour cream spiral on top of the applesauce by squeezing the bag slowly and rotating the bowl.
- Serve the bowl of Smith's sour cream applesauce swirl on a large serving platter with the warm fried latkes.
Yield: 8 latkes