«︎ Back to Recipes
Grandma's Nut Horns
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tsp. warm water
- 1 package yeast (1 of the 3 envelopes)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup Smith's sour cream
- for the walnut filling
- 1 lb. ground walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup Smith's milk or just enough to make spreadable
- Melt the yeast in warm water and set aside.
- Put 3 cups flour in a large bowl and cut the butter in.
- Make a well in the center of flour and put the 3 egg yolks, yeast, vanilla and Smith's sour cream in center. Mix on low with dough hook until fully blended. Chill for several hours.
- Make walnut filling by mixing together ground walnuts, sugar, vanilla and Smiths milk.
- When dough is chilled, divide into equal amounts to roll to about 9 inch circles at 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut into 8 triangle wedges and fill with about a tsp. of walnut filling.
- Roll up into a crescent shape and bake them on 350°F for 15 to 17 minutes or until just slightly browned.
- Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Store in a tightly sealed container. These freeze for at least 2 months if sealed well.