«︎ Back to Recipes
Creamy Potatoes au Gratin (Gluten-Free)
- 5 lb russet potatoes, peeled
- 32 oz Smith's Fresh or Ultra Pasteurized Half & Half
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp white or black pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 garlic clove, cut
- 16 oz Swiss or Gruyere cheese or combination, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Using food processor or mandolin, slice potatoes thinly and evenly into rounds.
- Add potatoes and Smith's Half & Half to large pot.
- Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until starch releases from potatoes and makes the liquid thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add salt, nutmeg and pepper to pot, stir. Remove from heat.
- Grease a glass 9” x 13” baking dish with butter, rub dish with cut garlic clove.
- Pour potato mixture into dish, smooth the top evenly with a spatula.
- Evenly scatter shredded cheese over potatoes.
- Bake at 350 F for 60 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown.