«︎ Back to Recipes
Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Gravy
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken (2-1/2 to 3 lbs.), cut up
- 1 cup Smith's buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Cooking oil for frying. Gravy: 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Smith's milk
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place chicken in a large flat dish. Pour Smith's buttermilk over; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a double-strength paper bag. Drain chicken pieces; toss, one at a time, in flour mixture. Shake off excess; place on waxed paper for 15 minutes to dry.
- Heat 1/8" to 1/4" of oil in a large skillet; fry chicken until browned on all sides. Cover and simmer, turning occasionally, for 40 to 45 minutes, or until juices run clear and chicken is tender.
- Uncover and cook 5 minutes longer. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Drain all but 1/4 cup drippings in skillet; stir in flour until bubbly.
- Add Smith's milk and 1-1/2 cups of water; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook 1 minute more. Add remaining water, if needed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with chicken.